Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Digital Storytelling



As I reviewed in my last post, digital storytelling is an interesting way to get students involved in classroom participation as well as keeping them excited about learning. I tested out the waters and created my own little short story. I imagined that this would be used in a Spanish foreign language class. Essentially, I would have the students watch the video in class and then ask them as a class discussion what they think the video is about, what it says, and what inferences they can make from the context to learn new vocabulary. Below you can access the video I made with Animoto. FYI, I had an introduction to Spanish course in mind while I made this.

Aventuras de Slim/Slim's Adventures

As you can see the subtitles are all in Spanish. After the video is shown in class and discussed, I would have the students write their own simple sentences that model after what the video showed. To kick it up a notch I would have the students create their own 10 second video either during class as group projects or as a term project where they can show what they learned at the end of the class. This could also be incorporated as a "show and tell" activity on students favorite activity, hobbies, and interests. Incorporating digital storytelling can be modified for a multitude of of topics, it's fun and easy!

1 comment: