Thursday, March 20, 2014

Gamification for ELLs



Gamificiation is the concept of applying game-design thinking to non-game applications to make them more fun and engaging. As Educase points out the intention is to increase the learner’s interest and motivation to learn. Simply, it’s fun to learn when it feels more like a game than a task.  This is defined as Flow. Flow theory is made up of three features goals, feedback and skill v. difficulty balance. Intrinsic motivation is more likely increased when these three components are integrated in a games design.


I tested out an escape the room game called The Sound Factory. I played it four times. In a classroom setting I would make my objectives relevant to the vocabulary related to the employee/employer relationship. I would do a walk through with the class when introducing the game and vocabulary. The students would work alone and would “check in” with me when they met the “tire quota”.  At this point I would check the student’s comprehension of the tasks and its commands. I would then follow up on the game with an assessment where the students would reenact the work environment while using the vocabulary, sequencing, and commands they acquired through the game. While the students are reenacting the rest of the class can help out if assistance is needed. This would continue the game-like element of a non-game situation. Two birds with one stone!

1 comment:

  1. I only played the game once but I met the tire quota right away. Perhaps a better time to check in with the students would be when they had used a certain number of tools.

    ReplyDelete